In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Toddington like this:
TODDINGTON, a small town, a parish, and a sub-district, in Woburn district, Beds. The town stands 2 miles from Harlington r. station; presents an ancient appearance; is very irregularly built; carries on straw-plait manufacture; and has a post-office‡ under Dunstable, a fine ancient church, three dissenting chapels, a national school, alms houses with £24 a year, other charities £71, and four annual fairs.The parish comprises 5,390 acres. Real property, £9,946. ...
Pop., 2,433. Houses, 505. The manor, with T. Park, belongs to MajorCooper. T. manor was formerly the residence of the Duke of Cleveland, and of the Earl of Strafford; and it gave concealment for some time to the Duke of Monmouth, after the battle of Sedgemoor. Some Roman antiquities have been found. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely. Value, £830.* Patron, J. Clegg, Esq.The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 12,812. Pop., 4,913. Houses, 1,012.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Toddington has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Bedfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Toddington and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Toddington in South Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Toddington".