Place:


Ropley  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ropley like this:

ROPLEY, a parish and a sub-district in Alresford district, Hants. The parish lies on the Guild ford and Winchester railway, 4 miles E of Alresford; contains Ropley-Street hamlet; and has a station on the railway, and a post-office under Alresford. Acres, 4, 595. Real property, £4, 601. Pop., 796. ...


Houses, 174. The property is much subdivided. A very beautiful Roman torque, of a spiral form, was, a few years ago, unearthed in a field; and is figured in Smith's Dictionary of Greek and Roman Antiquities. The parish is a resort of sports-men. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Bishops-Sutton, in the diocese of Winchester. The church is ancient, and was restored and enlarged in 1848. There is a national school. Archbishop Sutton was anative.—The sub-district contains also 8 other parishes. Acres, 23, 142. Pop., 3, 508. Houses, 728.

Ropley through time

Ropley is now part of East Hampshire district. Click here for graphs and data of how East Hampshire has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Ropley itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ropley in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6173

Date accessed: 15th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Ropley ".