In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Froxfield like this:
FROXFIELD, a village and a parish in Petersfield district, Hants. The village stands 3¼ miles WNW of Petersfield town and r. station; is a beautiful place; and has a post office under Petersfield. The parish comprises 4, 898 acres. Real property, £4, 237. Pop., 657. Houses, 138. The property is subdivided. Basing House, near the village, is a fine mansion. An ancient earthwork is here, and has yielded many fragments of Roman pottery. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £200. Patron, the Bishop of W. The church was built in 1863, at a cost of £2, 300; consists of nave, north aisle, and chancel; is of flint, with stone dressings; and includes some Norman work of the previous church, which was of Norman date. There are a Wesleyan chapel and an endowed school, the latter with £28 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Froxfield has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hampshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Froxfield and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Froxfield in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Froxfield".