In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Tebay like this:
TEBAY, a township, with a village, in Orton parish, Westmoreland; on the Lancaster and Carlisle railway, 2 miles SSW of Orton. It has a r. station with telegraph. Real property, with Bretherdale, £2,833. Pop., 368.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Tebay has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Eden. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Tebay and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Tebay, in Eden and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Tebay".