In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Great Hormead like this:
HORMEAD (GREAT), a village and a parish in Royston district, Herts. The village stands near the river Quin, 2¾ miles E of Buntingford r. station. The parish contains also part of Hare-Street village, which has a post office under Buntingford. Acres, 2, 160. Real property, £3, 145. Pop., 660. Houses, 130. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Edgar Atheling, and passed to the De Veres. Hormead Bury is a chief residence. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £121. * Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is old but good. There are an Independent chapel, a national school, and charities £21.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Great Hormead has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Great Hormead and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Great Hormead in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Great Hormead".