In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Royal Leamington Spa like this:
Leamington (Leamington Priors, or Royal Leamington Spa), mun. bor., par., and watering-place, Warwickshire, on river Leam, within parliamentary limits of Warwick and Leamington, 2 miles E. of Warwick and 98 miles NW. of London by rail, 1720 ac., pop. 22,979; 3 Banks, 5 newspapers. Leamington appears in Domesday Book as Lamintone, but was subsequently designated Leamington Priors, through its being granted to the priors of Kenilworth. Since 1811, when the town contained only 543 inhabitants, Leamington has risen with marvellous rapidity, its progress being due to its sheltered position in the valley of the Leam, and the historical interest and beauty of its neighbourhood, but chiefly, perhaps, to the excellence of its medicinal springs. ...
The town was incorporated as Royal Leamington Spa in March 1875, and was included in the parl. limits of Warwick and Leamington in 1885. Its trade is in a large measure connected with supplying the wants of numerous visitors; but there is a prominent industry in the mfr. of Leamington cooking ranges, which have gained a high reputation.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Royal Leamington Spa has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Warwick. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Royal Leamington Spa and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Royal Leamington Spa, in Warwick and Warwickshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Royal Leamington Spa".