In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Silverton like this:
SILVERTON, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Tiverton district, Devon. The village stands between the rivers Exe and Culm, 7½ miles NNE of Exeter; was, during four days in 1645, the headquarters of Fairfax; suffered much devastation by fire in 1837; was once a market-town; and has a r. station on the Bristoland Exeter railway, a post-office under Cullompton, and cattle fairs on the first Thursday of Feb. and July. The parish comprises 4,714 acres. Real property, £8,011. ...
Pop. in 1851, 1,376; in 1861, 1,260. Houses, 281. The manor was long held by the Crown, and is now divided between the Earl of Ilchester and the representatives of the late Earl of Egremont. S. Park belongs to the latter. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £950.* Patrons, the Earl of Ilchester and the Representatives of the late Earl of Egremont. The church was recently restored. There are a national school of 1847, an endowed school of 1724 with £133 a year, and charities £44.The sub-district contains six parishes. Acres, 19,026. Pop., 5,120. Houses, 1,120.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Silverton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Silverton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Silverton in Mid Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Silverton".