In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Kingskerswell like this:
KINGSKERS WELL, or KINGS-CARSWELL, a village and a parish in Newton-Abbot district, Devon. The village stands adjacent to the Torquay railway, 3 miles SSE of Newton-Abbot; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Newton-Abbot. The parish contains also the hamlets of North Whilborough and South Whilborough-Acres, 1, 744. ...
Real property, £4, 455. Pop., 903. Houses, 192. The manor belonged at Domesday to the Crown; passed to the families of De Molis, Courtenay, and Dynham; and, with Barton Hall, belongs now to H. L. Brown, Esq. Remains of an old mansion are near the church; and some Roman coins have been found on the neighbouring Down. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £110.* Patron, the Vicar of St. Marychurch. The church is later English, with portions decorated; was recently repaired; has a tower; and contains three fine monuments to the Courtenays and the Dynhams. There are chapels for Baptists, Wesleyans, and Bible Christians, a national school, and charities £19.
Kingskerswell is now part of Teignbridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Teignbridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Kingskerswell itself, go to Units and Statistics.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Kingskerswell, in Teignbridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th April 2017
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Kingskerswell ".