In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Welford like this:
WELFORD, a parish, with five hamlets, in Newbury district, Berks; on the river Lambourn, 4¼ miles NNE of Kintbury r. station, and 6 NW of Newbury. It has a postal wall-box under Newbury. Acres, 5,173. Real property, £7,539. Pop., 1,030. Houses, 224. The manor, with W. Park, belongs to Eyre, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of .Oxford. Value, £1,400.* Patron, the Rev. W. Nicholson. The church was recently rebuilt, partly after the model of the previous church, which ranged from Norman to later English and was much admired; and it has a round spire. An old chapel of ease stood at Wickham; and, excepting the lower part of the tower, was recently rebuilt. There is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Welford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Welford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Welford in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Welford".