In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Beaufort like this:
BEAUFORT, a village in Aberystruth parish, Monmouth; and a chapelry in Aberystruth and Bedwelty parishes, Monmouth, and Llangattock and Llangunider parishes, Brecon. The village stands adjacent to the Merthyr and Abergavenny railway, near the source of the Ebbw-y-Fawr river, 2¼. miles ENE of Tredegar; and has a r. station, and a post office‡ under Tredegar. It comprises a very dirty straggling street about a mile long; and extensive ironworks, with seven furnaces. The chapelry was constituted in 1846. Pop., 5,880. Houses, 1,212. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £130. Patron, alternately the Crown and the bishop.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Beaufort has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Blaenau Gwent. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Beaufort and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Beaufort, in Blaenau Gwent and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 31st October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Beaufort".