In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Brimpton like this:
BRIMPTON, a parish in Newbury district, Berks; on the rivers Emborne and Kennet, 1 mile SW of Woolhampton r. station, and 6 ESE of Newbury. It has a post office under Reading. Acres, 1,692. Real property, £3,720. Pop., 462. Houses, 101. The property is divided among a few. A preceptory of the Knights Templars, afterwards of the Knights Hospitallers, was here. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £351.* Patron, the Rev. G. B. Caffin. The church is good; and there are charities £84.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Brimpton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of West Berkshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Brimpton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Brimpton in West Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Brimpton".