In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Old Warden like this:
WARDEN, a parish, with a village, in Biggleswade district, Beds; 1½ mile NNE of Southill r. station, and 3½ N of Shefford. Post town, Biggleswade. Acres, 3,330. Real property, £4,760. Pop., 597. Houses, 118. The manor belongs to W. H. Whitbread, Esq. W. House is the seat of Lord Ougley. A Cistertian abbey was founded here, in 1135, by W. L'Espec; and is now a fine ruin. The living is a vicarage, annexed to Southill. The church is good; and there is a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Old Warden has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mid Bedfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Old Warden and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Old Warden in Mid Bedfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Old Warden".