In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Helmington Row like this:
HELMINGTON-ROW, a township in Brancepeth parish, Durham; on the river Wear and the Weardale railway, 4 miles N of Bishop-Auckland. Acres, 1, 244. Real property, £14, 158; of which £10, 158 are in mines, £78 in quarries, and £135 in railways. Pop. in 1851, 1, 182; in 1861, 3, 469. Houses, 655. Coal mining is largely carried on, and has been much extended. The township is a meet for the Cleveland hounds.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Helmington Row has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wear Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Helmington Row and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Helmington Row, in Wear Valley and County Durham | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 30th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Helmington Row".