Place:


Wharton  Cheshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wharton like this:

WHARTON, a village, a township, and a chapelry in Davenham parish, Cheshire. The village stands near the river Weaver, 1 mile NNW of Winsford r. station, and 2½ WNW of Middlewich; and has a weekly market on Saturday, and fairs on 8 May and 25 Nov. The township includes Winsford, which has a head post-office,‡ designated Winsford, Cheshire. ...


Acres, 1,224. Real property, £17,995. Pop. in 1851, 1,775; in 1861, 2,234. Houses, 453. The increase of pop. arose from extension of the salt trade. The manor belonged to the Bulkeleys; passed to the Robinsons and the Toppings; and belongs now to W. H. Harper, Esq. W. Hall, W. Lodge, Oaklands, and Fallowfield are chief residences. Salt, from brine springs, is manufactured in about 350 pans; rock salt also is obtained at Meadow Bank; and about 384,000 tons of white salt are annually exported. The Weaver is navigable, up to Winsford, for vessels of 120 tons. Flat and boat-building is extensively carried on; and artificial manures, of all kinds, are manufactured.—The chapelry includes Stanthorne township, and was constituted in 1860. Pop., 2,395. Houses, 480. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Chester. Value, £150.* Patron, the Rector of Davenham. The church was mainly rebuilt in 1849. There are four Methodist chapels and a national school.

Wharton through time

Wharton is now part of Vale Royal district. Click here for graphs and data of how Vale Royal has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Wharton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wharton, in Vale Royal and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6058

Date accessed: 19th April 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Wharton ".