Place:


Itchen Abbas  Hampshire

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Itchen Abbas like this:

ITCHIN-ABBAS, a village and a parish in Winchester district, Hants. The village stands on the river Itchin, 371/2 miles WNW of Alresford r. station; and has a post office under Alresford. The parish comprises 2, 100 acres. Real property, £2, 719. Pop., 214. Houses, 50. ...


The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Ashburton. A small priory formerly was here; and part of it is now included in a mansion. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £468.* Patron, Rev. W. W. Spicer. The church was built in 1863, on the site of a previous church of true Norman character; and is itself in the Norman style, cruciform, 58 feet long from E to W, and 46 along the transept. There is a school with £11 from endowment.

Itchen Abbas through time

Itchen Abbas is now part of Winchester district. Click here for graphs and data of how Winchester has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Itchen Abbas itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Itchen Abbas, in Winchester and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/6050

Date accessed: 18th November 2019


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Itchen Abbas ".