In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Erpingham like this:
ERPINGHAM, a parish, a district, and two hundreds in Norfolk. The parish is in Aylsham district; and lies on the river Bure, 3 miles NNE of Aylsham, and 5 ½ miles W by N of North Walsham railway station. Post town, Aylsham, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 381. Real property, £2, 664. Pop., 423. Houses, 99. The property is much divided. The manor belonged to the Erpinghams or Hapurgans, one of whom fought at Agincourt. The living is a rectory, annexed to the rectory of Blickling, in the diocese of Norwich. ...
The church is later English, with a tower; and contains a painted rood-screen, a brass effigies of the Erpinghams of date 1370, and three brasses of later dates.The district comprehends the sub-district of North Walsham, containing the parishes of North Walsham, Suffield, Antingham, Gunton, Thorpe-Market, South Repps, Gimingham, Trunch, Knapton, Mundsley, Trimingham, Sidestrand, and North Repps; the sub-district of Cromer, containing the parishes of Cromer, Overstrand, Felbrigg, Metton, Roughton, Hanworth, Aldborough, Thurgarton, Sustead, Bessingham, Gresham, Aylmerton, Runton, Beeston-Regis, Sheringham, East Beckham, West Beckham, Barningham-Norwood, Barningham-Winter, Matlask, Plumstead, and Baconsthorpe; and the sub-district of Holt, containing the parishes of Holt, Bodham, Weybourne, Kelling, Salthouse, Cley-next-the-Sea, Glandford, Bayfield, Letheringsett, Hempstead, Edgefield, Hunworth, Stody, Thornage, Brinton, Briston, and Melton-Constable-with-Burgh-Parva. It comprises Erpingham poor-law union and Brinton incorporation, the latter consisting of the parishes of Brinton and Melton-Constable-with-Burgh-Parva; and it has one workhouse in West Beckham and another in Melton-Constable. Acres, 72, 513. Poor-rates in 1862, £11, 234. Pop. in 1851, 21, 722: in 1861 20, 874. Houses, 4, 891. Marriages in 1860, 143; births, 642, -of which 68 were illegitimate; deaths, 460, -of which 163 were at ages under 5 years, and 22 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 1, 437; births, 6, 605; deaths, 4, 505. The places of worship in 1851 were 49 of the Church of England, with 11, 718 sit-tings; 2 of Independents, with 443 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 370 s.; 2 of Quakers, with 298 s.; 12 of Wesleyan Methodists, with 2, 514 s.; 18 of Primitive Methodists, with 2, 252 s.; 4 of Wesleyan Reformers, with 702 s.; 1 undefined, with 190 s.; and 1 of Latter Day Saints, with 16 s. The schools were 28 public day schools, with 1, 947 scholars; 20 private day schools, with 902 s.; 47 Sunday schools, with 2, 635 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 12 s.-The two hundreds are N and S; and they jointly are larger in extent than the district, yet exclude some portions of it. The N hundred contains thirty-one parishes. Acres, 40, 040. Pop., 10, 534. Houses, 2, 510. The S hundred contains forty parishes. Acres, 49, 078. Pop., 14, 979. Houses, 3, 326.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Erpingham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Erpingham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Erpingham in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 19th June 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Erpingham".