In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Preston Bissett like this:
PRESTON-BISSET, a village and a parish in the district and county of Buckingham. The village stands on an affluent of the river Ouse, 1¼ mile from the boundary with Oxfordshire, and 3½ S S W of Buckingham r. station; and has a post-office under Buckingham. The parish contains also the hamlet of Cowley, and comprises 1, 940 acres. Real property, £3,008. Pop. in 1851, 554; in 1861, 469. Houses, 110. The property is subdivided. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £457.* Patron, the Rev. J. S. Bolden. The church is decorated English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower; and contains double sedilia and three piscinæ. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Preston Bissett has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Aylesbury Vale. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Preston Bissett and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Preston Bissett, in Aylesbury Vale and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Preston Bissett".