In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Roughton like this:
ROUGHTON, a parish, with a village, in Erpingham district, Norfolk; 3½ miles S of Cromer, and 6½ N W of North Walsham r. station. It has a post-office under Norwich. Acres, 1, 740. Real property, £1, 775. Pop., 412. Houses, 97. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Suffield. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £340.* Patron, the Bishop of Norwich. The church is of the 14th century, and has a round tower. There are a Primitive Methodist chapel, an endowed school with £60 a year, and charities £13.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Roughton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Roughton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Roughton in North Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Roughton".