In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Stokenchurch like this:
STOKENCHURCH, a village and a parish in the district of Wycombe and county of Oxford. The village stands on one of the Chiltern hills, 5 miles WNW of West Wycombe r. station; commands a fine view; and has a post-office‡ under Tetsworth, and a fair on 10 July. The parish includes the hamlets of Beacons-Bottom and Water-End, and comprises 4,308 acres. Real property, £5,094. Pop., 1,508. Houses, 289. The manor belongs to J. Brown, Esq. Wormsley is the seat of Lieut.-Col. J. W. Fane. Chair-making is carried on. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £150.* Patron, the Lord Chancellor. The church is ancient, and belonged to Wallingford priory; and has been recently restored. There are chapels for Independents and Primitive Methodists, an endowed school, and charities £41. The regicide Scrope was a resident.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Stokenchurch has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wycombe. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Stokenchurch and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Stokenchurch, in Wycombe and Buckinghamshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Stokenchurch".