In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Dale Abbey like this:
DALE ABBEY, an extra-parochial chapelry in Shardlow district, Derbyshire; 3½ miles N of Borrowash r. station, and 5½ NE by E of Derby. Post town, West Hallam, under Derby. Acres, 1, 530. Real property, £2, 393. Pop., 366. Houses, 86. A priory of black canons was founded at Deepdale here, by Serlo de Grendon, in the time of Henry II.; and was succeeded by a Premonstratensian abbey in 1204. The buildings were grand and extensive; but only an ivy-clad arch of the church and some parts which were converted into dwellings and barns, now remain. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Lichfield. Value, not reported. Patrons, Trustees. The church is an edifice older than the abbey, and at a short distance from the ruins. There is a Wesleyan chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Dale Abbey has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Erewash. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Dale Abbey and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Dale Abbey, in Erewash and Derbyshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 21st May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Dale Abbey".