In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Capel like this:
CAPEL, a parish and a subdistrict in Dorking district, Surrey. The parish lies 5 miles NW by N of Faygate r. station, and 6 S of Dorking; and has a post office under Dorking. Acres, 5,522. Real property, £4,566. Pop., 1,074. Houses, 201. The property is divided among a few. Part of the surface is moorish. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Winchester-Value, £84.* Patron, Charles Webb, Esq. The church is good. The vicarage of Cold Harbour is a separate benefice. There are a Quakers' meeting house, a national school, and charities £15.-The subdistrict contains five parishes. Pop., 4,094.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Capel has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Mole Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Capel and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Capel, in Mole Valley and Surrey | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Capel".