In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hutton Roof like this:
HUTTON-ROOF, a township chapelry in KirkbyLonsdale parish, Westmoreland; adjacent to Lancashire, 3 miles E of Burton and Holme r. station, and 3 W by S of Kirkby-Lonsdale. It includes the hamlet of Newbiggin, and has a post office under Burton, Westmoreland. Acres, 2,635. Real property, £2,341; of which £347 are in quarries. Pop. in 1851, 343; in 1861, 284. Houses, 56. Hutton-Roof Park belonged to the Carus family; passed to the Bellinghams, the Prestons, and Col. Charteris; and belongs now to W. E. Wilson, Esq. Hutton Crags are a prominent feature; and limestone, blue stone, and mill stone are quarried. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £90.* Paron, the Vicar of Kirkby-Lonsdale. The church was rebuilt in 1757, and repaired in 1866. There are a Wesleyan chapel, and charities £16.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hutton Roof has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Lakeland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hutton Roof and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hutton Roof, in South Lakeland and Westmorland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hutton Roof".