Place:


Cirencester  Gloucestershire

 

In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Cirencester like this:

Cirenchester, or Cicester, market town and par. with ry. sta., in E. of Gloucestershire, on the Churn, and on the Thames and Severn Canal, 16 miles SE. of Gloucester -- par., 4749 ac., pop. 7737; town, 2600 ac., pop. 7658; 2 Banks, 1 newspaper. Market-day, Monday; was an important military station of the Romans, who called it Corinum or Corinium, the English invaders adding the usual -ceaster. ...


Numerous Roman antiquities have been found, and remains of the amphitheatre and the ancient walls are still to be seen. Cirencester has relics of an abbey founded in 1117. Its church (St John) is a fine old structure of the 15th century. C. has some mfrs. of woollens, carpets, and cutlery, but its industries are chiefly agricultural. The live stock market is one of the best in the W. of England. About 1½ mile W. of town, adjacent to Oakley Park, is the Royal Agricultural College (1846). C. returned 1 member to Parl. until 1885.

Cirencester through time

Cirencester is now part of Cotswold district. Click here for graphs and data of how Cotswold has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Cirencester itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Cirencester, in Cotswold and Gloucestershire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/590

Date accessed: 12th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Cirencester ".