In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sithney like this:
SITHNEY, a village and a parish in Helston district, Cornwall. The village stands 2 miles WN W of Helston, and 7½ S of Camborne r. station. The parish includes Porthleven chapelry, and is all within Helston borough. Post town, Helston, Cornwall. Acres, 5,898; of which 65 are foreshore. Pop. in 1851, 2,773; in 1861, 3,306. Houses, 657. Penrose, Antron, and Trevarno are chief residences. A preceptory of Knights Hospitallers stood near Helston. Tin and copper ores are worked; and lead ore was formerly mined. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £435.* Patron, the Bishop of E. The church is ancient but good. The p. curacy of Porthleven is a separate benefice. There are chapels for Baptists and Wesleyans, a national school, and charities £8.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sithney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kerrier. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sithney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sithney, in Kerrier and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sithney".