In 1887, John Bartholomew's Gazetteer of the British Isles described Waltham Holy Cross like this:
Waltham Abbey (or Waltham Holy Cross), market town and par., Essex, in W. of co., on left bank of river Lea, 1 mile E. of Waltham Cross sta. and 13 miles N. of Liverpool Street sta., London, 11,017 ac., pop. 5368; P.O., T.O., and P.O. at Waltham New Town; 1 newspaper. Market-day, Tuesday. Waltham Abbey has mfrs. of gunpowder and percussion caps, artificial flowers, &c. Of the old abbey, which originated in a church founded by the standard-bearer of Canute, made collegiate in 1062 by Harold, and converted into a mitred Augustinian abbey in 1177 by Henry II., the nave of the church (now the parish church) and the lady chapel remain.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Waltham Holy Cross has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Epping Forest. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Waltham Holy Cross and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Waltham Holy Cross, in Epping Forest and Essex | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Waltham Holy Cross".