Place:


Nether Denton  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Nether Denton like this:

DENTON (Nether), a parish in Brampton district, Cumberland; on the Roman wall, the river Irthing, and the Newcastle and Carlisle railway, at the boundary with Northumberland, near Low Row r. station, and 5 miles NE by E of Brampton. Post town, Low Row, under Carlisle. Acres, 4, 530. Real property, £3, 552. Pop., 302. Houses, 63. The property is much subdivided. The rocks include limestone and building-stone. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £196.* Patron, the Bishop of Carlisle. The church is tolerable.

Nether Denton through time

Nether Denton is now part of Carlisle district. Click here for graphs and data of how Carlisle has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Nether Denton itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Nether Denton, in Carlisle and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5874

Date accessed: 10th December 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Nether Denton ".