Place:


Bridekirk  Cumberland

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Bridekirk like this:

BRIDEKIRK, a township and a parish in Cockermouth district, Cumberland. The township lies near the river Derwent and the Cockermouth railway, 2 miles NNW of Cockermouth. Acres, 916. Real property, £1,608. Pop., 125. Houses, 26. The parish contains also the townships of Papcastle, Little Broughton, Great Broughton, Ribton, Dovenby, and Tallentire; and its Post Town is Cockermouth. ...


Acres, 9,270. Real property, £19,983. Pop., 2,876. Houses, 608. The property is subdivided. The manor belonged to Gisburn Abbey; and was given, at the dissolution, to the Tolsons. Bridekirk-Hall is the seat of the Dykes family. Freestone and limestone are quarried. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Carlisle. Value, £240.* Patron, F. L. B. Dykes, Esq. The church is ancient and good; has a Norman doorway; and contains a curious, carved square font, about 2 feet high, supposed to have been Roman. Great Broughton chapelry, now a vicarage, was made a separate charge in 1863. Charities, £122. Sir Joseph Williamson, secretary of state to Charles II., and Thomas Tickell, the poet, were natives.

Bridekirk through time

Bridekirk is now part of Allerdale district. Click here for graphs and data of how Allerdale has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Bridekirk itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Bridekirk, in Allerdale and Cumberland | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5852

Date accessed: 17th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Bridekirk ".