In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Whitney like this:
WHITNEY, a parish, with a village, in the district of Hay and county of Hereford; on the river Wye, and on the Hereford and Brecon railway, 4¾ miles NE of Hay. It has a post-office under Hereford, and a r. station. Acres, 1,483. Real property, £2,616. Pop., 260. Houses, 53. The manor, with W. Court, belongs to T. Dew, Esq. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Hereford. Value, £200.* Patron, T. Dew, Esq. The church is good; and there is a Baptist chapel.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Whitney has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Herefordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Whitney and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Whitney in Herefordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Whitney".