In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Horningsea like this:
HORNINGSEA, or HORNSEA, a parish, with a village, in Chesterton district, Cambridgeshire; on the river Cam, and on the Cambridge and Ely railway, 3½ miles NE by N of Cambridge. Post town, Cambridge. Acres, 1, 580. Real property, £2, 604. Pop., 402. Houses, 82. An ancient priory here was destroyed, about. 870, by the Danes. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely. Value, not reported. Patron, St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient but good; and consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with a tower. There are a national school, and charities £4.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Horningsea has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Cambridgeshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Horningsea and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Horningsea in South Cambridgeshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 06th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Horningsea".