In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Monkswood like this:
MONKSWOOD, a parish, formerly extra-parochial, in Pontypool district, Monmouth; near the river Usk, and near the Monmouth and Pontypool railway, 2½ miles NW of Usk r. station. Post town, Usk, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 1,030. Real property, £1,022. Pop., 179. Houses, 37. The property is all in one estate. The living is a p. curacy in the diocese of Llandaff. Valne, £80. Patron, the Duke of Beanfort. The church is good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Monkswood has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Monmouthshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Monkswood and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Monkswood in Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th October 2016
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Monkswood".