Place:


Milton Damerel  Devon

 

In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Milton Damerel like this:

MILTON-DAMEREL, a village, a parish, and a subdistrict, in Holsworthy district, Devon. The village stands on the river Waldon, 5 miles NNE of Holsworthy, and 12 SSW of Bideford r. station; was anciently known as Middleton; and has a post office under Brandis-Corner, North Devon. The parish contains also the hamlets of Whitebeare, East-Wonford, and West Wonford. ...


Acres, 4,252. Real property, £2,661. Pop., 684. Houses, 132. The property is divided among a few. The manor belongs to Lord Courtenay. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Cookbury, in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £378.* Patron, the Rev. W. D. Anderson. The church is ancient; consists of nave, aisles, and transept, with porch and tower; and was reported in 1859 as not good. There is a national school.—The sub-district contains also four other parishes. Acres, 21,281. Pop., 2,542. Houses, 502.

Milton Damerel through time

Milton Damerel is now part of Torridge district. Click here for graphs and data of how Torridge has changed over two centuries. For statistics about Milton Damerel itself, go to Units and Statistics.

How to reference this page:

GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Milton Damerel, in Torridge and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.

URL: http://www.visionofbritain.org.uk/place/5792

Date accessed: 14th November 2018


Not where you were looking for?

Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time , and maybe some references to other places called " Milton Damerel ".