In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Penton Grafton like this:
WEYHILL, or Penton-Grafton, a parish, with a village, in Andover district, Hants; 3 miles W by N of Andover r. station. It has a post-office under Andover, and a great annual fair, beginning on 10 Oct., and continuing for several days. Acres, 1,888. Rated property, £3,698. Pop., 444. Houses, 95. The manor belonged anciently to Grestein abbey in France; was held by the poet Chaucer; and passed to Ewelme hospital, in Oxfordshire. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £476.* Patron, Queen s College, Oxford. The church is early Norman, and was recently. restored. There are a national school, and charities £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Penton Grafton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Penton Grafton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Penton Grafton, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Penton Grafton".