In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Irby like this:
IRBY, a township in Woodchurch and Thurstaston parishes, Cheshire; 5 miles NNW of Great Neston. Acres, 574. Real property, £.1, 015. Pop., 177. Houses, 31. Pop. of the Woodchurch portion, 152. Houses, 26. The manor belonged to the Gleggs.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Irby has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Wirral. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Irby and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Irby, in Wirral and Cheshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Irby".