In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Braughing like this:
BRAUGHIN, a village, a parish, a subdistrict, and a hundred in Herts. The village stands on the river Quin, adjacent to Ermine-street, and to the Buntingford railway, 3½ miles SE by S of Buntingford; and has a station on the railway, and a post office under Ware. It was a domain of the Saxon kings; was known to the Saxons as Brooking, and to the Normans as Brackinges; and was long a place of considerable importance, and a market-town. It has now a fair on Whit-Monday. Vestiges of the Roman Ad-Fines are at Campwood in its neighbourhood. ...
The parish includes also part of the hamlet of Puckeridge. Acres, 4,300. Real property, £7,009. Pop., 1,180. Houses, 249. The property is divided among a few. The living*is a vicarage in the diocese of Rochester. Value, £260 Patrons, the heirs of the late Rev. W. Tower. The church contains monuments of the Brograves; and is good. There are an Independent chapel, an alms-house, and charities £28.- The subdistrict is in Bishop-Stortford district, and contains five parishes. Acres, 12,246. Pop., 2,912. Houses, 616. The hundred contains thirteen parishes. Acres, 39,669. Pop., 20,481. Houses, 4,121.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Braughing has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hertfordshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Braughing and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Braughing in East Hertfordshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 27th May 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Braughing".