In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Instow like this:
INSTOW, a village and a parish in Barnstaple district, Devon. The village stands adjacent to the Bideford Extension railway, at the confluence of the rivers Taw and Torridge, opposite Appledore, 3½ miles NNE of Bideford; is a pretty watering place, rising into popular favour; commands a view, over Barnstaple bar, to Lundy Island; and has a quay, a railway station, and a post office, designated Instow, North Devon. The parish comprises 1, 631 acres of land, and 285 of water. Real property, £2, 449; Pop., 614. Houses, 119. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Exeter. Value, £150.* Patron, Mrs. Cleveland. The church is later English, in good condition; and has a tower. There are a Wesleyan chapel and a national school.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Instow has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of North Devon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Instow and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Instow in North Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Instow".