In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Chalton like this:
CHALTON, or Chalkton, a parish in Catherington district, Hants; on the verge of the county, 2¾ miles NNW of Rowland's Castle r. station, and 5½ S by W of Petersfield. It includes the chapelry of Idsworth; and its Post Town is Horndean. Acres, 1,723. Real property, £1,261. Pop., 619. Houses, 125. The property is all in one estate. Part of the surface is high, and bears the name of Chalton Down. The living is a rectory, united with the p. curacy of Idsworth and the rectory of Clanfield, in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £600.* Patron, King's College, Cambridge. The church is ancient, and was repaired in 1859.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Chalton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of East Hampshire. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Chalton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Chalton in East Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 09th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Chalton".