In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Elsing like this:
ELSING, a parish in Mitford district, Norfolk; near the river Wensnm, 4½ miles NNE of Yaxham r. station, and 4¾ NE by E of East Dereham. Post town, Lyng, under Norwich. Acres, 1, 511. Real property, £2, 519. Pop., 392. Houses, 91. The property is divided among a few. Elsing Hall is the seat of Mrs. Frances Brown. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £299.* Patron, E.Browne, Esq. The church is ancient, has a fine canopied brass of 1347, and is good. There is a Primitive Methodist chapel. Charities, £28.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Elsing has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Breckland. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Elsing and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Elsing, in Breckland and Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 23rd August 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Elsing".