In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Ashbury like this:
ASHBURY, a village anld a parish in Farringdon district, Berks. The village stands near the Ridgeway or Icknield-street, at the W end of Whitehorse vale, 3 miles SSE of Shrivenham r. station, and 7½ S of Farringdon; and it has a post office under Shrivenham. The parish includes also the tythings of Idstone and Odstone, and the hamlet of Kingstone-Winslow. Acres, 5,520. Real property, £6,828. Pop., 742. Houses, 153. The property is divided among a few. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Oxford. Value, £375.* Patron, Magdalen college, Oxford. The church is partly Norman, partly decorated English. There are a P. Methodist chapel, a national school, and charities £14.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Ashbury has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Ashbury and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Ashbury, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 10th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Ashbury".