In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Temple Ewell like this:
EWELL, a village and a parish in Dover district, Kent. The village stands in a vale, adjacent to the Canterbury and Dover railway, and near the source of the river Dour, 3 miles NW of Dover; and has a station on the railway and a post office under Dover. The parish comprises 1, 590 acres. Real property, £2, 432. Pop., 429. Houses, 84. The property is divided among a few. The manor belonged, as early as 1185, to the Knights Templars; and it had a commandery of theirs on an eminence about a mile from the village. Portions of the buildings remained till near the middle of last century; and they occasioned both the village and the parish to be sometimes called Temple-Ewell. The living is a rectory and a vicarage in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £127. Patron, B. J. Angell, Esq. The church is small and uninteresting, but good.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Temple Ewell has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Temple Ewell and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Temple Ewell, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 13th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Temple Ewell".