In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Shaugh Prior like this:
SHAUGH-PRIOR, a village and a parish in Plympton, St. Mary district, Devon. The village stands on the river Plym, near the confluence of the Mew and the Cad, under the S W side of Dartmoor, 1 mile E of Bickleigh r.station, and 7 N E of Plymouth; is surrounded with very romantic scenery; and has a small inn. The parish comprises 8, 707 acres. Post-town, Horrabridge, Devon. Real property, £3,022. Pop., 570. Houses, 100. The property is divided among a few. Shaugh bridge, Dewerstone rock, and the Dartmoor tors are striking features. Porcelain clay is extensively worked; iron and tin ores are mined; and fire bricks and sanitary ware are manufactured. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Exeter. Value, not reported. Patrons, the Dean and Canons of Windsor. The-church is good. Charities, £12
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Shaugh Prior has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Hams. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Shaugh Prior and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Shaugh Prior, in South Hams and Devon | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 28th July 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Shaugh Prior".