In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Wereham like this:
WEREHAM, a parish, with a village, in Downham district, Norfolk; 5½ miles ESE of Downham r. station. It has a post-office under Brandon. Acres, 2,231. Real property, £4,517. Pop., 597. Houses, 137. The manor, with White House, belongs to H. B. Mason, Esq. Wereham Hall is the seat of Mrs. Houchen. A Benedictine priory, a cell to Mountstrol, in France, was founded here in the time of King John; was annexed, in 1321, to West Dereham monastery; and went, at the dissolution, as part of that monastery's possessions, to T. Guibon and W. Mynn. The living is a p. curacy, united with Wretton, in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £120. Patron, the Rev. J. Pratt. The church was recently restored and enlarged. There are a Wesleyan chapel, a national school, and charities £40.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Wereham has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Kings Lynn and West Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Wereham and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Wereham in Kings Lynn and West Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 12th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Wereham".