In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Garford like this:
GARFORD, a chapelry in Marcham parish, Berks; on the river Ock, 3¾ miles NNE of Wantage-Road r. station, and 4½ WSW of Abingdon. Post town, Marcham, under Abingdon. Real property, £2, 141. Pop., 173. Houses, 40. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the vicarage of Marcham, in the diocese of Oxford.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Garford has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Vale of White Horse. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Garford and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Garford, in Vale of White Horse and Berkshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 26th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Garford".