In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanfrechfa like this:
LLANVRECHVA, a parish of two divisions, lower and upper, in Pontypool district, Monmouth; on an affluent of the river Usk, 1¾ mile NE of Llantarnam r. station, and 2½ NNW of Caerleon. Post town, Caerleon, under Newport, Monmouth. Acres, 4,320. Real property of the lower div., £3,700. Pop. in 1851,985; in 1861,933. Houses, 207. Real property of the upper div., £4,678; of which £1,000 are in mines, £62 in quarries, and £250 in railways. Pop. in 1851,1,517; in 1861,1,621. Houses, 296. The property is much subdivided. Woollen manufacture is carried on. The living is a vicarage united with the chapelry of Cumbrane, in the diocese of Llandaff. Value, £85.* Patrons, the Dean and Chapter of Llandaff. The church was reported in 1859 as not good. A national school was built in 1862. Charities, £5.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanfrechfa has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Torfaen. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanfrechfa and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanfrechfa, in Torfaen and Monmouthshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 07th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanfrechfa".