In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Farnborough like this:
FARNBOROUGH, a village and a parish in Bromley district, Kent. The village stands near the direct railway to Tunbridge, 4¼ miles SE by S of Bromley; has a post office under Bromley, a railway station, a police station, a national school, a large brewery, and a fair on 12 Sept.; was once a market town; and gave the title of baron to the Longs. The parish comprises 1, 412 acres. Real property, £3, 055. Pop., 955. Houses, 155. The property is subdivided. The living is a p. curacy, annexed to the rectory of Chelsfield, in the diocese of Canterbury. The church was built in the 17th century, and is good. The Bromley workhouse is here.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Farnborough has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Bromley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Farnborough and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Farnborough, in Bromley and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd November 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Farnborough".