In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Eythorne like this:
EYTHORN, a village, a parish, and a sub-district, in Eastry district, Kent. The village stands on a pleasant spot, 1¾ mile NE of Shepherds-Well r. station, and 6½ NNW of Dover; commands a fine view of the surround-ing country to the sea; and has a post office under Sandwich. The parish comprises 1, 318 acres. Real property, £2, 792. Pop., 461. Houses, 93. Eythorn House is a chief residence. There are some barrows. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Canterbury. Value, £400.* Patron, alternately the Earl of Guildford and T. Papillon, Esq. The church is later English. There are a Baptist chapel, a grammar school, and charities £11.The sub-district contains six parishes, and the greater part of another. Acres, 8, 639. Pop., 2, 158. Houses, 438.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Eythorne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Dover. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Eythorne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Eythorne, in Dover and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 05th December 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Eythorne".