In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Llanerfyl like this:
LLANERFYL, a village and a parish in Llanfyllin district, Montgomery. The village stands on the river Banw, near the Sarn Sws Roman way, 5 miles NW by W of Llanfair, and 10 SW of Llanfyllin r. station; and has a post office under Welshpool. The parish includes the townships of Cefnllys-Isaf, Cefnllys-Uchaf, Crane, Llyssin, Coedtalog, and Cenlwyll. Acres, 16,255. Real property, £5,291. Pop., 885. Houses, 183. The property is chiefly divided between two. Newadd-Wen was the seat of Meredydd ap Cynan; and Llyssin was the seat of the Herberts. ...
Much of the surface is bleak upland. Traces exist of copper ore. An ancient circular rampart, enclosing an area of about 70 yards, overlooks the village; another ancient fortification is at Moelddol-wyn; numberous barrows are on the hills; and three pools, at one of which is a stone inscribed with the date 1430, are on Mynydd-Drum. The living is a rectory in the diocese of St. Asaph. Value, £435. * Patron, the Bishop of St. David's. The church is dedicated to St. Erval; and is early English, in fair condition. A stone with a very old inscription, and a well formerly reputed holy, are near the church. There is an endowed school, with £32 a year.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Llanerfyl has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Powys. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Llanerfyl and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Llanerfyl, in Powys and Montgomeryshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 24th October 2014
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Llanerfyl".