In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Looe like this:
LOOE (THE), a river of Cornwall; rising on high grounds, near St. Clear; and running about 10 miles southward, past Liskeard and St. Keyne, to the head of Looe bay between East Looe and West Looe. It is joined, near its mouth, by the Trelawney river, which has a run of about 7½ miles south-south-eastward, and is sometimes called West Looe river. Looe bay is a mere incurvature, continuous with Whitesand bay on the E.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Looe has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Caradon. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Looe and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Looe, in Caradon and Cornwall | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 20th May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Looe".