In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Claxton like this:
CLAXTON, a parish in Loddon district, Norfolk; near the river Yare, 2 miles WSW of Buckenham r. station, and 4 NW of Loddon. Post town, Rockland, under Norwich. Acres, 991. Real property, £1, 380. Pop., 202. Houses, 42. The property is all in one estate. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Norwich. Value, £60. Patron, SirRich, Bart. The church was reported in 1859 to need repair. There are chapels for Baptists and Primitive Methodists. Charities, £10.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Claxton has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of South Norfolk. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Claxton and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Claxton in South Norfolk | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th January 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Claxton".