In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Sherfield English like this:
SHERFIELD-ENGLISH, a parish, with a village, in Romsey district, Hants; 4 miles W by N of Romsey r. station. It has a post-office, of the name of S.-Hatchett, under Romsey. Acres, 1,780. Real property, £1,879. Pop., 342. Houses, 77. The property is divided among a few. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Winchester. Value, £350.* Patron, R. Bristow, Esq. The church is plain.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Sherfield English has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Test Valley. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Sherfield English and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Sherfield English, in Test Valley and Hampshire | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 22nd May 2013
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Sherfield English".