In 1870-72, John Marius Wilson's Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales described Hollingbourne like this:
HOLLINGBOURN, a village, a parish, a sub-district, and a district in Kent. The village stands 5 miles E of Maidstone r. station; was known at Domesday as Hoilingeborde; and has a post office under Maidstone, and h fair on 16 June. The parish contains also the hamlet of Eyhorne-Street, and the places called New Englands, Woodcut-Hill, and Greenway-Court. Acres, 4, 560. Real property, £6, 108. Pop. in 1851, 1, 302; in 1861, 1, 190. Houses, 189. The decrease of pop. arose from emigration, caused by want of employment. ...
Most of the property is divided among seven. The manor belongs to the Dean and Chapter of Canterbury. There were formerly paper mills; and these were converted into.our mills. There are brick and tile works. Very curious relics, of unique character, supposed to be Roman, and including a wooden club scarcely 2 feet long and a small wooden sword or dagger, were found about 3½ feet below the surface, during the enlargement of a mill pond, in 1862. The living is a vicarage in the dio. of Canterbury; and, till 1868, was united with Hucking. Value, £349.* Patron, the Archbishop of Canterbury. The church is early and later English; consists of nave, aisles, and chancel, with low square tower; and contains many monuments of the Culpepers, of the 17th and 1 8th centuries. There are an endowed national school, a charity for widows with £100 a year, and other charities with £22. The district workhouse is in the parish; and, at the census of 1861, had 241 inmates.The sub-district contains also the parishes of Boxley, Debtling, Bredhurst, Stockbury, Thornham, Hucking, Bicknor, and Wormshill. Acres, 22, 026. Pop., 4, 690. Houses, 878.The district comprehends also the subdistrict of Lenham, containing the parishes of Lenham, Boughton-Malherbe, Harrietsham, Frinsted, Witchling, and Otterden; and the sub-district of Headcorn, containing the parishes of Headcorn, Ulcombe, Broomfield, Leeds, Langley, Sutton-Valence, East Sutton, and Chartnext-Sutton-Valence. Acres, 57, 017. Poor rates in 1863, £10, 721. Pop. in 1851, 13, 751: in 1861, 13, 584. Houses, 2, 743. Marriages in 1862, 74; births, 434, -of which 34 were illegitimate; deaths, 206, -of which 66 were at ages under 5 years, and 6 at ages above 85. Marriages in the ten years 1851-60, 780; births, 4, 470; deaths, 2, 552. The places of worship, in 1851, were 23 of the Church of-England, with 5, 487 sittings; 5 of Independents, with 1, 038 s.; 2 of Baptists, with 240 s.; 6 of-Wesleyan Methodists, with 719 s.; 1 of Primitive Methodists, with 70 s.; and 1 of Bible Christians, with 90 s. The schools were 16 public day schools, with 1, 220 scholars; 25 private day schools, with 554 s.; 21 Sunday schools, with 1, 206 s.; and 1 evening school for adults, with 12 s.
A Vision of Britain through Time includes a large library of local statistics for administrative units. For the best overall sense of how the area containing Hollingbourne has changed, please see our redistricted information for the modern district of Maidstone. More detailed statistical data are available under Units and statistics, which includes both administrative units covering Hollingbourne and units named after it.
GB Historical GIS / University of Portsmouth, History of Hollingbourne, in Maidstone and Kent | Map and description, A Vision of Britain through Time.
Date accessed: 25th November 2015
Click here for more detailed advice on finding places within A Vision of Britain through Time, and maybe some references to other places called "Hollingbourne".